Migrating a number in WhatsApp Busines means that a phone number that is already registered in the WhatsApp Business API can be moved between WhatsApp Business API accounts. This allows for businesses to change BSPs (Business Solution Provider) or move their number to a new account, but only if the source and destination Facebook Business Manager IDs are the same. After being migrated, a phone number keeps its display name, quality rating, messaging limits, Official Business Account status, and any quality message templates previously approved as soon as they do not exceed the maximum capacity of templates per WABA (250 max).
What Is / Isn't Migrated in the Process?
Here is a summary:
Template Messages and chat history migration Only the high-quality message templates are migrated on this process. In practice, they are copied to the destination WABA. These templates do not need to go through review again and can be sent immediately. Low quality, rejected, or pending templates are not migrated. Any existing message templates in the destination WABA will not be overwritten. Message and chat history are not migrated with this process.
Billing Migration Messages sent before migration are charged to the source BSP. Messages sent after migration are charged to the destination BSP. Messages sent from the source, and that are not delivered before migration, are still charged to the source BSP when they get delivered.
Official Business Accounts (Green Badge) Official Business Accounts (OBAs) can be migrated between WABAs. The only requirement is that the two-factor authentication needs to be disabled during the migration process. It can be re-enabled after the number is migrated.
Prerequisites for Migration
These prerequisites are mandatory for MessageBird Support to have prior to you submitting your migration request. If any information is missing, please find it before submitting it to MessageBird Support. Partial or incomplete information cannot be sent and may extend the request for the migration.
Knowing the onboarding style of the WhatsApp Manager:
Does my business have an embedded WABA or an OBO (old-style) WABA?
You can verify this by checking to see if you can access the WABA through your Facebook business manager by going to your Facebook Business Manager >> Business Settings >> Accounts >> WhatsApp accounts. Please do let us know if you have access
Phone numbers/WABA’s migrated to MessageBird:
- You must have physical access o be able to receive and verify a 6 Digit PIN Code through SMS or Voice Call per every number migrated
- The WhatsApp Business Account connected to the number to be ported must be verified by Facebook. Accounts in Sandbox mode cannot be ported.
- Two-Factor Verification must be disabled for the number (You need to request the old BSP to disable Two-Factor Verification (2FA).
Facebook rules states that the BSP cannot delay or difficult the disablement of 2FA or the porting process at all.
Admin Access to Facebook Business Manager:
- Facebook Business ID of the numbers / WABA to be migrated.
- Admin access is required to accept the Message-on-Behalf request.
Before migrating a number, it's important to go through the following checklist:
- Do I know which Facebook Business Manager ID owns this account? Please note that this needs to be the Facebook Business Manager ID of the Business Manager that is the owner of the account. If the Business Manager only has access to it but is not the owner, the migration will not work. You can understand how to discover this Facebook Business ID here.
- Do I know what style of Onboarding does my business have?
- Do I have admin access to the Facebook Business Manager that owns this account?
- Is the Facebook Business Manager verified?
- Do I have access to this phone number to receive and verify a 6 Digit PIN Code through SMS or Voice Call?
- Do I have confirmation from the old BSP that the Two-Factor Verification (2FA) is disabled for this account?