The migration process means that a phone number that is already registered in the WhatsApp Business API can be moved between WhatsApp Business API accounts. This allows for businesses to change BSP's (Business Solution Provider) or move their number to a new account, but only if the source and destination Facebook Business Manager IDs are the same. After being migrated, a phone number keeps its display name, quality rating, messaging limits, Oﬃcial Business Account status, and any quality message templates previously approved as soon as they do not exceed the maximum capacity of templates per WABA (250 max).
What Is / Isn't Migrated in the process?
Here is a summary:
Template Messages and chat history migration Only the high-quality message templates are migrated on this process. In practice, they are copied to the destination WABA. These templates do not need to go through review again and can be sent immediately. Low quality, rejected, or pending templates are not migrated. Any existing message templates in the destination WABA will not be overwritten. Messages and chat history are not migrated with this process.
Billing Migration Messages sent before migration are charged to the source BSP. Messages sent after migration are charged to the destination BSP. Messages sent from the source that are not delivered before migration are still charged to the source BSP when they get delivered.
Official Business Accounts (Green Badge) Official Business Accounts (OBA's) can be migrated between WABA's. The only requirement is that the two-factor authentication requires to be disabled during the migration process. It can be re-enabled after the number is migrated.
Prerequisites for Migration
These prerequisites are mandatory for MessageBird Support to have prior to you submitting your migration request. If any information is missing, please find it before submitting it to MessageBird Support. Partial or incomplete information cannot be sent and may extend or cancel the request for the migration.
Requirements for phone numbers to be migrated to MessageBird:
- You must have physical access to be able to receive and verify a 6 Digit PIN code through SMS or Voice Call per every number to be migrated.
- The WhatsApp Business Account connected to the number to be ported must be verified by Facebook. Accounts and numbers in "Sandboxed" mode cannot be migrated.
- Two-Factor Verification must be disabled for the number. You need to request the old BSP to disable Two-Factor Verification (2FA).
- Please keep in mind, you can only migrate numbers in between the same business. This means the Facebook Business ID must be identical, from the BSP you are migrating with and the new account you have with MessageBird. You can verify your Facebook ID by following the steps detailed here.
- After you have confirmed these details, please reach out through this form to set a time and date for the migration, as we will need availability from your side to prove ownership of the number to migrate.
Please keep in mind, Facebook rules state that the BSP cannot refuse or delay the disablement of 2FA or the porting process at all. If this is an issue, please reach out to Facebook directly from your Facebook Business Manager.
Before migrating a number, it's important to go through the following checklist:
- Do I know which Facebook Business Manager ID owns this account? Please note that this requires to be the Facebook Business Manager ID of the Business Manager that is the owner of the account. If the Business Manager only has access to it but is not the owner, the migration will not work. You can understand how to discover this Facebook Business ID here.
- Do I have admin access to the Facebook Business Manager that owns this account?
- Is the Facebook Business Manager verified?
- Do I have access to this phone number to receive and verify a 6 Digit PIN Code through SMS or Voice Call?
- Do I have confirmation from the old BSP that the Two-Factor Verification (2FA) is disabled for this account?
Once you are ready, the process can be initiated by filling out this form.