MessageBird is working together with WhatsApp to bring the platform to you. Our API easily integrates WhatsApp Business solution into your communications mix.
When you sign up for using the WhatsApp Business API, you can choose from three different pricing plans: Essentials, Pro, and Enterprise. Each one works best for different types of companies. When it comes to pricing, there are two types of costs involved:
- Subscription: The subscription cost includes having access to WhatsApp Business itself with MessageBird and other benefits, such as a WhatsApp-Enabled Number, Sandbox Testing Environment, personalized customer support, and much more.
- Transactional: this refers to the cost involved in sending and receiving messages from your customers. In the following section, we explain each of these costs in detail.
Whatsapp types of messages and transactional pricing:
When a customer proactively sends an inbound message or replies to a template message sent by you (see below) you can respond during the following 24-hour window at a reduced rate—these are called session messages.
The 24-hour window is reset every time you receive an inbound message from your customer. If the 24-hour window passes, you can restart the conversation with your customer by sending a template message.
Pricing per session message
- This price applies to all messages sent and received during a 24-hour period after the most recent message sent by the customer. Your pricing plan already includes a certain amount of session messages per month. If a customer sends you an inbound message, it gets deducted from your session messages.
- If you go over the session messages limit included in your pricing plan, the price per session message stated in your pricing plan will be charged.
If you want to initiate a conversation with a customer or reply to a customer’s message outside of the 24-hour window, you can send template messages.
Template messages are outbound messages that use one of your pre-approved WhatsApp Templates (alerts, appointment reminders, shipping notifications, etc). These need to be submitted and approved by WhatsApp before they can be used. You can submit Message Templates via the WhatsApp Template Manager on the MessageBird Dashboard. The number of templates you can have in your WhatsApp Template Manager depends on your pricing plan.
Pricing per template message
The pricing per template message includes a template message price + session message:
- Every time you send a template message WhatsApp charges a fee that varies depending on the destination country or region—this price is displayed in our pricing page as template message price. This price is the same as the one published on the public WhatsApp pricing page. To know the template message price for different countries, simply use the ‘Destination country’ drop-down menu on our pricing page.
- Your pricing plan already includes a certain amount of session messages per month. If you send a template message, it gets deducted from your session messages. If you go over the session messages limit included in your pricing plan, the price per session message stated in your pricing plan will be charged.
For example, let’s say your destination country is The Netherlands:
- You still have session messages left in your plan, for example, 500. The price per template message would be: €X template message price for The Netherlands + you’ll have one less session message available for usage (your new available session messages is 499).
- You reached the included session messages limit of your plan. The price per template message would be: €X template message price for The Netherlands + €Y price per session message (depending on your plan).