Sometimes, the owner of a workspace leaves the company without transferring ownership, and you need to find a way to transfer the ownership of the MessageBird workspace to another user. Don't worry, you can quickly change the ownership to a new email address. To do this, there are a few different scenarios you might encounter to set this up. You can select below what is applicable for you, and follow the steps indicated:
- Do you have access to the original MessageBird account?
- Do you have access to the original account's email inbox?
- What if I don't have access to the account nor the email inbox?
Do you have access to the original MessageBird account?
The owner of a workspace can manage the users and add or delete them. They are also the only ones who can transfer the ownership of the workspace to another person. If you have access to the current owner's account, you can take the following steps:
Go to the top-right corner of the MessageBird Dashboard, make sure you're on the right Workspace, and select Your Account from the drop-down menu
Then select Users or make your way here.
Click on the blue button Add new user, input the new email address, and select the role. Hit Add when done. Keep in mind that for now, the only available role will be Administrator. In later steps you'll be able to change it to Owner.
We'll send an invitation to the Workspace to the new email. Go to your mailbox, accept the invitation and set up a new password.
If you want to transfer the ownership of the workspace to the new user, make sure you are logged in as the old account owner. From the list of users, you can click on Make Owner on the right side next to the new user's email. When this is done, you can log in as the new owner to delete the inactive email from the list of users.
Do you have access to the original account's email inbox?
If you are unable to access the MessageBird workspace using the original account, but are able to access the user's email inbox, you can:
- Reset the MessageBird password here.
- If the new email address has not been added yet as a User, you can add them by clicking on the Workspace name in the upper-right corner. You can then select Users from the drop-down menu or make your way here.
- The new User will need to accept the invitation into the Workspace in an email sent to their inbox.
- Once they have accepted the Workspace invitation, you will then be able to click on the Make Owner button next to their email address in the Users page.
What if I don't have access to the account nor the email inbox?
If this is the case for you, we will be happy to help!
Please reach out to us via email to transfer ownership from the same company email domain using the web-widget on the bottom-right of our website.
Please be sure to include:
- The original email address (workspace owner)
- The new email address you want to transfer the ownership to
- The reason for transferring the ownership of the account