If you are not receiving messages on your MessageBird Virtual Mobile Number (VMN), please check the following points before reaching out to us:
- Numbers are optimised for local traffic instead of international traffic. For example, if you have a UK VMN and your users who are from the US are sending messages from their US numbers, as per VMN limitation you won't be able to receive messages as the traffic is considered international.
- VMNs are designed for two-way communication with a SIM card phone number. Virtual numbers cannot be used to verify user accounts for receiving login codes (OTPs) and especially those of financial institutions. This is strictly prohibited and the use of a virtual number to receive OTPs will result in the suspension of your account.
- You can't use a name as the sender (alphanumeric sender ID) while using the virtual mobile number. This means that when you send out messages with a name, your customers will not be able to reply. If you would like to receive messages from your users, you need to use a VMN as an originator or include it in the text of your SMS.
- In some countries, you will not be able to use a virtual number to receive replies from your customers due to restrictions. You can find the specific restrictions per country on our Country Info & restrictions section.
If the above reasons were excluded already, please reach out to us with the following information:
- Examples with the originating number and recipient number
- The date and time the messages were sent
- Screenshot of the message sent from the originating number