This step-by-step guide will lead you through the WhatsApp Business onboarding process.
Step 1: Sign up for WhatsApp Business
During the flow, you’ll be asked for your Facebook Business ID. Please follow these steps to find your Facebook Business ID — we’ll also send them to you via email when you reach this step:
- Log into your company’s Facebook Business Manager account.
- Go to Business Settings.
- Below Business Manager Info, you'll see your Business Manager ID number.
- Go to your MessageBird Dashboard, copy that number into Your Facebook ID section, and tap Save.
- And that’s it! Make sure all your information is correct and hit Send request.
If you don’t have a Facebook Business account yet, you can sign up on https://business.facebook.com/
Step 2: Verify your business and accept the invitation
Once you finish signing up for WhatsApp Business, you’ll receive an email from our Customer Success team asking you to accept WhatsApp via Facebook and verify your business:
- Make sure you’re logged into your company’s Facebook Business Manager account (not your personal Facebook account)
- Navigate to the Requests tab of your Facebook Business Manager.
- In Received, you should see an invitation from us for the WhatsApp Business API.
- Open the invitation and accept it.
After you’ve accepted the invite, please make sure your Facebook Business Verified. If you’ve already been Business Verified, you can ignore this step; otherwise, please pay close attention to Facebook’s instructions to Verify your Business.
- Go to Business Settings and click Security Center.
- Tap Verification and click Start Verification. Once you start the verification process, you can check the status in this section.
- Enter your business details and tap Next.
- Select the correct business from the list or “None of the above” if your name does not appear.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to confirm your business information. If you’ve selected “None of the above” in the previous step, Facebook will ask you to verify your company by sending additional documentation.
- Decide how you prefer to receive the confirmation code and enter the verification code.
- And that’s it! You’ll receive a confirmation from Facebook regarding your request.
Please note that the verification decision is entirely at the discretion of Facebook.
Once your Facebook Business profile has been successfully verified, your application will go to WhatsApp for approval.
Step 3: Choosing a number and a display name
As soon as WhatsApp approves your application, our Customer Success team will contact you to connect the number you'll be using for WhatsApp. This will be the number that customers can reach you at and from where you can send WhatsApp messages.
You have the option of using one of the free MessageBird Virtual Mobile Number (VMN) or use one of your current phone numbers:
- Your own number: This should be a number that has not been associated with WhatsApp before. It can be either mobile or landline.
- VMN: Availability and rates will depend by country.
Need some help? Learn how to pick a number for use with WhatsApp.
Each number needs a “display name”. This will be the name that is visible to your customers and can be found in your Business' company info on WhatsApp and is unchangeable once activated. Please take a look at Facebook’s guidelines for display names.
Step 4: Activate the WhatsApp channel in your MessageBird account
You’ll receive an email from our Customer Success team letting you know when your channel ready for activation. Go to Channels on the left sidebar of your MessageBird Dashboard, click WhatsApp, and find your very first WhatsApp channel. You should see "Activate channel" as a green button. To activate the channel, a verification code will be sent to your WhatsApp number:
- Your own mobile number: You can receive the code via SMS or phone call (phone call recommended).
- Your own landline number: You’ll receive the code via a phone call.
- VMN: You’ll receive the code via a phone call. Please attach the number to a forwarding call flow and make sure to publish the flow.
Click Activate channel, request the code either via SMS or phone call and type it in the right field.
If you see the status "Pending", wait 10 minutes and refresh the page. Please reply to the Customer Success team email thread if the status has not changed for more than 30 minutes.
Once the number has been activated, you’re all set to start using our WhatsApp Business. So how can you start using WhatsApp? You can use it by either:
- Connecting your WhatsApp channel with Inbox here (Guide on how to connect).
- Or using the Conversations API (Developer Documentation).
Step 5: Registering a Template Messages
To reach out to your customers, you need a pre-approved Template Message. Your plan already includes a certain number of free Templates. You can submit Template Messages via the WhatsApp Template Manager on the MessageBird Dashboard for approval. Once your Template Messages has been approved, it can not be edited anymore; however, you can add new Templates at any time.