All WhatsApp Business API accounts are based on a valid phone number. The following rules apply:
- You must own this number.
- The number needs to be 'clean', which means it mustn't have been registered with another WhatsApp user.
- Numbers connected to the WhatsApp Business APP can be migrated to MessageBird's WhatsApp Business API. See the article Migrating a phone number for more info.
- The number must include a country code and an area code.
- The number must be able to receive a call or SMS for the channel activation.
These types of numbers are accepted:
- Landline numbers
- Mobile numbers
- Virtual Mobile Numbers (VMN); Need to be voice-capable to receive the activation token by call. VMNs can be purchased from MessageBird.
These types of numbers are not accepted:
- Numbers with an IVR (automated call menu) attached to it, unless this can be disabled to receive the activation token.
Once your application has been approved, the Service Delivery team will reach out and ask you to provide a number to connect to your WhatsApp channel. Once the number is connected to the channel it cannot be removed anymore.