All WhatsApp Business API accounts are based on a valid phone number. The following rules apply:
- You must own this number
- The number needs to be “clean”, which means it must never have been registered with a WhatsApp user before
- The number must include a country and area code
- The number must be able to receive a call or SMS for the registration step
- Landlines are acceptable phone numbers to use
- Shortcodes are not allowed on the WhatsApp platform
- Virtual Mobile Numbers are supported, we do recommend to use a Voice enabled number to receive the verification token by a call.
Once you have chosen your business phone number's, please send this to your account manager. They will submit this with WhatsApp, if your number is valid you'll receive a VNAME certificate to connect the number in your MessageBird account.