All WhatsApp Business API accounts are based on a valid phone number. The following rules apply:
- You must own this number.
- The number needs to be clean, which means it must never have been registered with a WhatsApp user before.
- The number must include a country and area code.
- The number must be able to receive a call or SMS for the registration step.
- Landlines are acceptable phone numbers to use.
- Short codes are not allowed on the WhatsApp platform.
- Virtual Mobile Numbers (VNM) are supported, we do recommend to use a Voice enabled number to receive the verification token by a call.
Once you have chosen your business phone number, please send it to your account manager who will submit this with WhatsApp. If your number is valid, you'll receive a VNAME certificate; you'll need this when connecting your account to the MessageBird Dashboard.