All WhatsApp Business API accounts are based on a valid phone number. The following rules apply:
- You must own this number.
- The number needs to be 'clean', which means it mustn't have been registered with another WhatsApp user.
- The number must include a country code and an area code.
- The number must be able to receive a call or SMS for the channel activation.
These types of numbers are accepted:
- Landline numbers
- Mobile numbers
- Virtual Mobile Numbers (VMN); Need to be voice-capable to receive the activation token by call. VMNs can be purchased from MessageBird.
These types of numbers are not accepted:
- Numbers with an IVR (automated call menu) attached to it, unless this can be disabled to receive the activation token.
- Toll-free numbers
Once your application has been approved, the Service Delivery team will reach out and ask you to provide a number to connect to your WhatsApp channel.