Getting started with Telegram is easy! Follow these steps to be up and running in no time:
- The BotFather manages all Telegram Bots. Creating a Bot is also done by sending him commands. To get started simply go to https://telegram.me/botfather.
- After starting the conversation, you need to send the command /newbot to get started with creating a new Bot.
- The next question the BotFather will ask is what the name of the Bot should be; this can be anything and will be used as a nickname for your Bot. Send the BotFather a message with the name of your new Bot. Don't worry if you change your mind later, the Bot name can be changed anytime you wish.
- The next question is important as it will be about the username of your Bot. Your username has to end with bot or _bot. Make sure to choose your username well since you can’t change it the future. The username has to be unique as well, BotFather will let you know if you’ve chosen a username that's already taken.
- Congratulations! You’ve just created your Bot. The BotFather will send you a message containing a token to access the HTTP API and write it down; together with the username is what you’ll need to add it as a Channel to the Chat API.
- The last step is to add your Bot to the Chat API. Navigate to your Channels page and choose to add a new Telegram Channel. Here you’ll fill in the name you’d like to give the Channel, the Bot’s username and the Bot’s token you’ve received in Step 5.
Done! You’ve just created a Telegram Bot and added it to the Chat API. You are now all set to send the first message to your Telegram Bot.
Using the BotFather allows you to customize your Telegram Bot. These are the optional commands:
/setname - change bot's name
/setdescription - change bot's description
/setabouttext - change bot's about info
/setuserpic - change bot's profile photo