Getting started with WeChat is easy! Follow these steps to be up and running in no time! To use WeChat with Chat API you will need an Official Account or a Sandbox (testing) account.
Using a Sandbox Account is very easy and will be explained below. Using an Official Account is a bit more work and can be done here: http://apply.wechat.com/. If you just want to test WeChat we recommend using the Sandbox version. We also offer help when going for the Official Account version.
Sandbox Account version
- First off, go to http://admin.wechat.com/debug/cgi-bin/sandbox?t=sandbox/login and press the green ‘Log In’ button.
- Scan the QR code you see to Log In with your WeChat account. This will direct you to the Sandbox Dashboard.
- On the Sandbox Dashboard, you should see 3 values already available: WeChat ID, appID and appSecret. Write these 3 values down as you’ll need them in the next step.
- Go back to the MessageBird Dashboard, choose a name for the channel and fill in the WeChat ID (also called Open ID), appID and App Secret you received during Step 3.
- For the Token field, you can fill in a random string like ‘xYYyczjJb5LrWyyzg24jM7GU’. Please write this Token down.
- After doing this you can click on ‘Add’ to add the Channel to your account.
- The next step is to go back to the WeChat Sandbox and scroll down to the ‘API Config’ section. Here you have to fill in 2 values: URL and Token.
- The URL is https://chat.messagebird.com/wechat/webhook/<WeChatID> where you have to fill in the WeChat ID (or Open ID) you wrote down at Step 3.
- The Token is the random string of numbers/letters you chose at Step 5.
- Select either Plain Text or Compatible Mode in the En-/Decryption Methods.
- After filling in these values you can click on the green ‘Submit’ button to finalize the connection. You may have to click a few times before you get a green message saying the connection is valid.
Done! You have just created a WeChat Sandbox account and connected it to the Chat API. If you scroll down to ‘Test account QR Code’ in the Sandbox Dashboard you will find a QR that users can scan to connect with your Sandbox Channel.
Official Account version
Note that when adding an official account, please set the name of your official account as the `open_id` value and not the actual value of the `open_id`.